Our complaints policy
We are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and are committed to providing a high-quality service to all our clients. But if something goes wrong, we want you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards and improve on becoming a better law firm for your needs.
Where possible, we try to resolve concerns informally. We suggest that any issues are raised with the person responsible for your matter. They will do their best to put things right for you.
However, if you are still unhappy, or are uncomfortable discussing any issues with the person dealing with your matter, you may raise a formal complaint under our complaints-handling procedure.
In order to do this, please contact Siobhan Cribbin direct on email@example.com or by writing to The Attic 24-26 The Cross Lymm WA13 0HU.
To make things easier for you, we have detailed below our complaints procedure below.
Who can make a complaint?
Other than in certain limited circumstances, our complaints handling procedure is reserved for clients of the firm. Unless we has provided legal services to you as an individual, or to your business, you will not be able to complain through this procedure.
What can I complain about?
You may complain about any aspect of the service provided by us, including our fees.
Please note, however, that in circumstances where you are pursuing a professional negligence claim against this firm, we will not deal with complaints arising out of the issues that form the basis of the negligence claim.
Individuals have certain rights to complain or request information under data protection law. For full details, please visit our privacy notice.
How does the procedure work?
The complaints procedure works in three stages:
- Acknowledgement: within five working days of receiving your complaint, we will send you a written acknowledgment explaining the next steps.
- Investigation: this stage will involve reviewing your file and discussing your concerns with the person who acted for you in order to find out what happened. If your complaint is about Siobhan Cribbin, and she cannot resolve this direct with you, then the investigation will be conducted by an independent third party.
- Response: Once your complaint has been investigated the response will be issued to you within 8 weeks of the date we acknowledged your complaint.
Do I have a right of appeal?
Through this procedure we aim to resolve all concerns to your satisfaction. But if you are not satisfied with our response, you may be eligible to refer the complaint to the Legal Ombudsman provided you do so within six months of the end of our internal complaints procedure.
Any complaint to the Legal Ombudsman must usually be made within 6 years from the date of the problem which brought about your complaint, or within 3 years of the date you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint. In addition, only individuals and certain small companies, trusts and charities are eligible to make complains to that office.
The Legal Ombudsman will not normally accept a complaint unless we have been given the opportunity to respond first. But you can usually escalate matters to the Legal Ombudsman if:
- The complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction within 8 weeks from the date it was made; or
- The Legal Ombudsman considers that there are exceptional reasons to consider the complaint sooner, or, without it having been made to the firm first; or
- Where the Legal Ombudsman considers that resolution through our internal procedure is not possible due to a breakdown in the relationship between you and the firm.
You should also be aware that, when your complaint relates to a bill, the Legal Ombudsman will not consider your complaint while your bill is being assessed by a court.
Legal Ombudsman contact details:
Address: PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ
Telephone: 0300 555 0333
For further information regarding timescales and eligibility, please contact the Legal Ombudsman using the details above.
We are committed to effective complaints handling and will always try our best to promptly resolve any outstanding issues and put things right. At all times we will keep you updated and if we have to change any of the timescales above, we will let you know and explain why.